Everything you wanted to know about JetPack WordPress Plugin
7 months ago Sachin Khanna Comments Off on Everything you wanted to know about JetPack WordPress Plugin
I am quite a fan of WordPress. It’s a great software and unquestionably the most widely used blogging software across the web. One major factor which makes WordPress so useful is the inclusion of great plugins, that can be used with it in order to enhance its functionality. Today I would be talking about JetPack plugin. JetPack is a great plugin for WordPress. If you are not using this, then you might have to use 20 other individual plugins to do the same thing. So without much delay, let’s jump right into how to use this plugin on your WordPress site.
What will you learn from this post:
You would have to login to your WordPress dashboard and click on the link for adding new plugin
Click on the Plugins link > Add new.
A new search screen appears. Enter Jetpack as the search term here
Click on the Search Plugin button.
It will search for the plugin named Jetpack and display the results. The first result that comes is the JetPack plugin itself from Automattic. You can review its details by clicking Details.
If you read this blog post. I am confident you would be able to understand the working of this plugin better and would not find the need to go through the description or tutorials on other sites
The next step is to Install the plugin and then activate it.
After you have got it installed, you need to activate a WordPress account. In order to get yourself with a WordPress account,click on connect to WordPress button. You will be directed to the WordPress account. Here you need to click on the “Need an account” link, if you don’t have an account with WordPress. If you already have an account, fill in the login details on the page and click “Authorize JetPack”.
Once activated, you will see JetPack as an entry in the sidebar of your WordPress admin page. A number of features that come with this plugin bundle get displayed when we click on the settings link.It’s up to you to choose which features to activate or which not. If you want to know more about the feature, you can click on Know More button under the feature.
A number of features exists, under JetPack plugins
1.Beautiful Math: This is a complex markup for writing complex mathematical formulae in your blog.
2. Comments: This may just be the right feature you are looking for adding the comment functionality on your site. Give it a try and see if this is what you need.
3. Contact Form: Adds a contact form to your blog site. This enables your users to get in touch with you without giving out your email address. this works in conjunction with Akismet (if it is enabled) and helps in filtering out the comments that you receive. What Akismet does is it filters out the comments that appear to be spam and passes on any legitimate looking comments on to you.
4. Custom CSS: This allows the CSS for your theme to be overwritten. So if you want to edit the color of the header of the site, grab hold of the CSS element and write it here. Add the appropriate CSS attributes you want to change for the header, say color:#2f2f2f. Tese settings will be the one which WordPress will look at in rendering the page. A great and handy feature worth trying if are not happy with the look and feel of your theme and want to tweak it to make it better.
5. Notifications: It helps in notifying you about any events through the admin toolbar as a numbered circle.
6. JSON API: Allows your content to be securely accessed through the cloud.
7. Site Stats: Now this is a nice and helpful feature. This hep you in showing a snapshot of your site’s statistics in terms of a number of users visits and from where are they coming and a lot of other information. It displays it on the admin bar at the top clicking that will give you detailed information.
8. Sharing: This feature helps visitors in sharing your posts on various social media sites like Twitter, LinkedIn, Google plus or even print or send it through email. Here you can configure the look and feel of the icons you want on the page.
One important feature that I want to discuss here is the Publicize feature. When you click on it, you are presented with a number of options to choose from a variety of social sites wherein you can “connect your blog to popular social networking sites and automatically share new posts with your friends“. So what this means is that each time you post a blog post, it will automatically send a small notification to the social media site informing your friends that a new post has been updated from you. You have the liberty to choose or not choose any site you wish to connect to like I have Facebook, Twitter, and Google plus integrated into my site.
10. Carousel feature: What this does is basically, lets you add an image Gallery to your post and once this feature is activated, it gives the user an ability to look at the images as a Carousel with navigation left/right button. Activating it will create a gallery of your images so that users can see the images you put in the gallery is shown as a Carousel.
You need to go to create a new post and click on the add media button it will take you to the screen similar to the above. Click on the Create gallery link on the left and select all the images you want to include in the Gallery.
11. Related Post: This adds a section of related posts wherein a number of posts matching the displayed post are shown.
12. Sitemaps: Sitemaps are needed to be submitted to the search engines in order for them to know about the content of your site. This feature helps in creating sitemaps for your blog so that your site may be indexed by the search engines like Google, Bing , yahoo etc.
13. Photon: It speeds up the loading time for the images on your site
14. Mobile theme: It customises your blog so that it is rendered properly on a mobile device. What it does is hides the featured images and enabling excerpts of your posts instead of showing full post. You can configure these settings as well according to your liking.
15. Holiday snow: Your blog’s aim is to be a part of your reader’s liking and dislikes. They should feel at home and relate to the design and look and feel of the site and what better way is to greet the holiday season with falling snow. This fun feature just does what its named as. Filling your screen with falling season when Christmas is round the corner (Dec 31st to Jan 4th)
There are a tonne of other features that are available for you to activate in JetPack like writing Markdown syntax posts, proofreading the posts that you have written before publishing, creating short links and several others.
In this post, I have covered most of the features that come with JetPack. Hope you have enjoyed reading this post as much as I have enjoyed writing it. If you find anything to comment about, just send me a comment by typing in the comment box below and clicking Post Comment.